Summer League 2018 Rules
Here are the basics
- Games are on Tuesday nights. There are 2 games per night, at 7:30pm and 8:35pm.
- League runs for 9 weeks. Starts on June 26. Ends on August 21.
- 4 teams this year. Please wear your team’s colour.
- Open to men and women ages 16+.
- Each game consists of 2 periods of 30 minutes. There will be a 3 min break between each period.
- Be on time – each game starts as soon as 5 players from each team are ready.
- Running time at all times except the last 2 mins of the second half.
End of game rules
- The last 2 mins of the second half are stop time if the score is within 7 points.
- There is a 30 second shot clock at the discretion of the referee.
- There is no bonus rule per half. However, in the last 2 mins of the second half, if a team commits 3 fouls, then every foul afterwards results in foul shots (including the 3rd foul) the rest of the game.
- Overtime rule : if the game is tied, there will be a 2 min overtime, stop time.
Here's a bit more
- A male player is not permitted to block the shot of a female player. The defender may keep his hands straight up but can not make a motion downwards or sideways in an effort to block. Automatic 2 points will be awarded if a male player does not respect the rule.
- We’ll have a scorekeeper who will be taking down stats of every game. The schedule, the teams and stats will be posted online throughout the summer.
- Per popular request, there will be one referee this year.
- Per popular request, there will be no trades or bye-weeks this year.
- We will be taking team and individual pictures on week 1. There may therefore be a slight delay in the start time.
- Don’t complain. If you’re not happy, join the YMCA.
- The summer league is the only time of the year where players from different age groups – junior boys, senior women, senior men and veteran men can play together! The goal is to create a fun weekly game during the summer and to have fun. Treat all players and the referee with respect. If you are disrespectful to anyone, bark at the scorekeeper, bark at the referee or create an incident, you will be expelled with no refund. If you cannot handle this, do not join the summer league.
- 40$ per player. All players must pay the full amount on week 1. You can e-transfer the amount. If you “forget” to bring your registration fee on week 1, you will not play.
- If you sign up as a regular, you are expected to be present to at least 7 of the 9 games over the summer. If you might miss more than that, sign up as a sub
- Have fun and play hard! That’s the goal 🙂