- All children ages 6 to 17 enter our youth basketball development program.
- All teams practice on Saturdays and most youth teams now also practice a second day during the week.
- Our youth basketball development program is intended to teach children the game of basketball in a fun and safe environment by a qualified coach with decades of experience in basketball training.
- The program focuses on improving individual skills and teaching team play. For many children, this is their introduction to organized basketball which is why our program focuses on teaching basketball fundamentals and steadily improving their individual skills. As our players improve & our numbers increase, we have started to include a team approach to their training by grouping the kids in different teams, introducing them to exhibition games, tournaments, providing them uniforms and organizing group outings. We will take more steps in this direction this year!
- Obviously in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s program will be more limited! Games are out of the question and teams will only practice once a week to begin the year.
We are aiming to start on Saturday September 26 2020 or the week after.
The head coach of the development program, Fadi Rishani, is a FIBA certified coach. This means that the governing body of basketball throughout the world, the International Basketball Federation (FIBA), has certified him as a licenced coach. It’s not a stretch to say that the kids are in qualified hands!
Tentative start times are available on the gym schedule page. Players are separated into different groups based on their age, gender and experience. Most groups have a session of 1h15 min. The precise schedule will be determined once the registration process is complete, once we know how many players are participating this year.
We group the children into different teams based on their age and experience. It’s not an exact science. It depends on the number of children enrolled but ideally there will be 12-15 children in each group.
Our basketball development program is intended for children of all skill levels & experience. Most of our groups have a mix of new and returning players. Both beginners and experienced players are welcome
Membership fee for the first 4 months : until January
- 125$ for 1 child
- 200$ for 2 children
- 300$ for 3 children
Payment must be made online either through e-transfer or credit card prior to the start of the season. Once your child is registered, we will communicate by email to inform you how to complete the payment.
Parents who cannot make the membership payment in part or in full can contact the sports committee. The membership fee for a child can be waived exceptionally & the child can participate.
All parents must register their children
Step 2 : pay the membership fee.
- We will contact each parent by email once they have registered to inform them how to make the payment.
🏒 Floor hockey : ages 18+
Junior/Senior Girls: ages 15 to 23
Senior Men competitive: ages 18 +
Senior Men competitive : ages 18+ (U30)
Senior Men recreational : ages 18+
Veteran Men recreational : ages 35+
The 2020-2021 season should begin in late September or early October and end in June.
All teams must have a team manager, either a coach, parent or a player. The team manager is the official person of contact for the team and the link between the group and the sports committee.
Their responsibilities include :
- Communicating messages to the group
- Communicating messages to the sports committee
- Ensuring all players are registered members & rules are followed
- Helping coordinate activities with the sports committee
- Providing leadership to the group and encouraging team building
- In the context of Covid-19 : many responsibilities including the triage process! See the document Return to Play Policy for all details.
All adult groups will also have a liaison person from the sports committee who they can reach out to for any questions, issues, plans or feedback.
All adults who want to play sports must register.
Step 2 : pay the membership fee.
- We will contact each player by email once they have registered to inform them how complete the payment.
Membership fee for the first 4 months (until January) : 125$ per player
Payment must be made online either through e-transfer or credit card prior to the start of the season. Once you register, we will communicate by email to inform you how to complete the payment.
All adults who use the gym for sports must be paid members and complete the registration form. There are no exceptions for adults.
AGBU is a membership-based organization. By being a paid member, you are joining our community and supporting our purpose. Simply put, membership fees keep our community alive and allow us to grow our sports program!
The sports committee works tirelessly every year to reduce membership fees to a minimum cost. Through fundraising and special events, we keep the fees down to a very reasonable amount as well as subsidize children from lower income families so that they can participate in our sports program. That being said, for us to maintain and improve our sports activities, we need our members to make their contribution through their membership payments.
Gym availability is limited. We do not have unlimited access to the school gym. Not only do we have more and more sports groups, but other groups including the scouts, dance groups, school subgroups and others also use the gym for their activities. We try to distribute the gym slots we have as fairly as possible.