chahen chamlian basketball tournament
The 2017 AGBU Montreal Basketball Tournament took place on October 7 and 8. Teams from Montreal and Toronto faced off in multiple divisions in a fun and festive environment! Congratulations to all the athletes that participated and all the volunteers who helped throughout the weekend. Thank you to all our sponsors who continue to generously support our community and allow us to continue improving our sports program!
- Our Senior Women are back. AGBU’s Senior Women’s team had their first competitive matches in years, as they competed against a local Montreal team on both Saturday and Sunday.
- Traditions matter. AGBU Montreal and AGBU Toronto have been going head-to-head at the senior level for several years. 2017 saw the Montreal squad win both games and defend its title! Guard Danny Ghoughassian was awarded the Boyadjian trophy as tournament MVP.
- Legends Game. The veteran men and senior men joined forces in the very 1st “Legends” match. Team Kazandjian and Team Sofuyan competed in a spirited contest involving longtime AGBU Montreal supporters.
- Youth was served. AGBU Montreal and Toronto competed in several youth divisions. Montreal fared quite well as they were crowned champions at the novice level (ages 13 and under), junior boys level (ages 15-18) and junior girls level (ages 14-18) while Toronto were crowned champions in the bantam boys levels (ages 13 to 15)
- Fantastic finishes. This annual tournament offers the chance to create lasting memories and this year did not disappoint, as several of the youth games came down to the final seconds and had the crowd on its feet!